Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Quick Piping Tutorial

Okay...This is just going to be a quick and dirty tutorial on making the piping.  There are already lots of "real" tutorials for making piping out there.  I really wanted to show my first use of my Darr Piping Ruler.  Let's start at the beginning.  LOL.  The first thing I did was cut enough bias strips of my fashion fabric to equal about 3 yards (I always make more than I think I'll use because of potential screwups boo boos).  I then sew the strips together and trim the excess.  Press the seams open.  Take your cording and wrap the wrong side of the fabric around it.  I took the time to pin the whole thing because my hand-eye coordination isn't great.  LOL.  This picture shows me sewing the cording.  Well...kinda; I'm taking the pictures.


Now I've sewn all of the cording and placed it on my cutting table.  This great little tool allows you to rotary-cut or mark your choice of 4 different piping seam allowances.  For my application, I chose the 3/8 inch seam allowance.  Just place piping on the mat and align the groove of the ruler for the seam allowance you wish to use.










And cut away! Look how perfect that seam allowance is!  I just love it.













And here you see about 3 yards of gorgeous piping for the inside of my jean jacket.  Oh, I do have a suggestion that is not in the instructions.  LOL.  If you have a cat that loves to play with strings, I suggest you shoo them from the room until you're done cutting.  You can give them the scraps from cutting your lovely, neat piping.

No comments:

Post a Comment