Sunday, December 30, 2012

Winter Jacket, etc.

I changed my mind.  LOL.  The coat/jacket project is back on but I've changed the pattern.  I think I finally am able to put my finger on my issue with that pattern.  I've never really cared for the fit of an armhole princess style.  If I make a princess style, I really prefer the shoulder cut instead.  I should have remembered and not put myself through all the work of that muslin.  So I've put that pattern and muslin aside and have found another newer pattern I'm liking even better.

Butterick 5823 -  I like the seaming detail; it's basically a shoulder princess style.  It's a loose-fitting, lined double-breasted with welt pockets and I've already cut out the tissue and fitted it to Ruby.  As usual, I'll cut the size 16 from the neck through the upper waist and finally end up with a 20 at the hips.  I've added 2 inches in length to each of the pattern pieces.  The sleeve length is fine, its just too full at the wrist so I'll be narrowing down the sleeve so it doesn't look so baggy on my arms.
There's really not a whole lot of shaping going on, although, there are places you could slim it down like the back and side seams.  But that would defeat the purpose of a loose-fitting jacket. 

This really all the progress I have to report today.  I expect to get the coat cut out within the next day or so and actually start putting it together.  It's a pretty straight forward project with no real surprises.

Did you all have a lovely Christmas?  I had a great time with family up north.  Our drive was delayed by that huge snowstorm and we got to see all the idiots in the ditch who just HAD to drive in that crazy weather.  I'll bet I counted over 50 semi's alone off the road along I-80 between Des Moines and Davenport.  And this happens every snowstorm.  You think people would learn to pay attention to weather reports.

Ah well I got one really useful present from the parents; Susan Khalje's Bridal Couture.  I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet but soon.


Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Burda 7220 - Cowl Neck

I apologize ahead of time for these pictures.  Its so cloudy outside I just can't get a decent shot.  One of these days I'm really going to have to learn more about this camera.  LOL.  That said, I really like this top.  It's very comfortable (I'm all about comfort these days) and easy to make.  I'll be making a couple more in the near future.

One thing to take note:  the sleeves are seriously long.  I took 4 inches off the length and still wound up with 7/8 sleeves.  Not really what I was going for but I'll deal.  LOL.  I made up my normal size 16 at the neck and shoulders graduating down to an 18 at the hips. 

It's cute; it's comfortable and it's easy.  What more could you ask for?  LOL.

There's not going to be much sewing over the next 2 weeks.  We're spending some time with family and I'll be doing lots of cooking.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and be safe!


Saturday, December 15, 2012

Coat Mojo is gone, gone, gone

With our weather alternating between 40's and 70's (it's supposed to be 68 today), the itch I had to make a coat/jacket has disappeared.  Poof!  I just can't get into it.  Sigh.  I really do need a jacket.  Everything I have is either too casual or too heavy.  Maybe in January I can get the coat mojo working again.

Soooo...I'm ALWAYS ready to make another top.  LOL   I'm working on a new-to-me Burda pattern,7220 view B.  This is a cute cowl neck almost Sewing Workshop type pattern.  It's got a nice pleat in the front and an off center one in the back & a buttoned pleat on each sleeve.  They're using crepe backed satin for their version.  But I have a nice rayon batik from Sawyer Brook that has been marinating for several years in my stash; I think it will work nicely here.  I purchased 1/4 yard of some matching crepe satin for the small tab looking thing in the front and for the sleeve cuff. 

Oh, I thought I would mention since the technical drawings don't show it, but there are darts in this pattern. 

I have the front & back put together and the neckline complete.  It's really looking nice.  You'll have to excuse the summery look of the fabric; it was in the stash.  LOL.

I think by making this 3/4 sleeved, I'll be able to make this a 3 season blouse.  
 Here's a little closer view of the draped front.  It just naturally falls this way; I didn't have to do a thing.  Quite pretty.

And a quick view of the back with that big pleat.  I'm betting this would like nice as a sleeveless top too.

Well this is all I have for now.  I'm hoping to get this finished in the next couple of days.