Sunday, June 27, 2010
My husband, Alan, says my current sleep shirt is ready for the rag bag. What he doesn't realize is that I'm still wearing it because I can't find anything I like to replace it at the department stores. And I finally have a couple of other projects off my plate so I can work on some new items.
I started this night shirt last Thursday and finished it today (Sunday). I shopped my pattern stash and found Fast & Easy Butterick B5034. I chose the tunic length and only added 2 inches to the length. I also changed out the collar, added a left breast pocket and made it sleeveless. Its a fairly fitted style and when I did a tissue fit, the armhole size was fine for a sleeveless style sleep shirt. I had to make my usual addition at the hips. Pattern makers seem to think we are all the same size at the bust and hips and we all know that's very rarely true.
I've been eying a peachskin fabric in my stash and since I serge the edges & prewash everything when I bring it home, I didn't have launder it to get started.
With peachskin being fairly slippery, I used spray starch on the collar pieces. I'm trying to "step up" the quality of my garment sewing and with this shirt, I used French seams on the shoulders. Turned and stitched seams were used on the side seams since they need to be pressed open to accommodate the slits on the sides.
I embroidered a "B" on the pocket. I'm really pleased with how the garment turned out.