Saturday, July 31, 2010
Oh I just can't stand leaving a perfectly good spot unembroidered. Is that a word? I really like putting little bits of embroidery in unexpected places. So I embroidered just one little ladybug on the back of the collar stand. The inside of the embroidery will be covered when I apply my label on the inside collar.
Thursday, July 29, 2010
I have the collar & stand attached and edge stitched. I'm really pleased with how the shirt is turning out. This is where you see how the elements of the different fabric prints come together. All I have left to complete are the side seams, bias binding of the armholes, the hem & buttons and buttonholes.
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
This is a closeup of the pocket detail. I think a plain pocket is pretty boring. So I cut off the top 2 inches plus a little (this is all before I actually cut the pocket out). Then I cut a 1.25 inch strip of the red/black fabric on the diagonal and pressed it in half. I put the raw edges together with the top edge of the pocket and the 2 inch strip; sewed them altogether and pressed it out. Now it looks like the pocket has a piped trim. Then I put the pocket pattern piece on the pocket fabric and cut it out. I then applied the pocket to the shirt front. Neat, huh?
First, I apologize for the dark picture. I just can't seem to get enough light in my studio for picture taking. This next shot shows the completed fronts pinned to my mannequin. I cut off the band (leaving a seam allowance of 5/8") from the left side and sewed on a new band of a red/black stripe that I cut on the diagonal. This is the first time I've done this and in my mind it turned out pretty good.
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Its been a few weeks since I've posted, it seems to always be so busy in the summer, time just gets away from me.
I received my new issue of Threads magazine (#150) and just LOVE the shirt on the front cover. So my next posts will be following my trials and tribulations of recreating one. My favorite garment to sew is a shirt so this is right up my alley and I guess that's why I'm so excited about it. In the article, they discuss using a fairly basic button-up shirt style with details coming from and inspired by modern designer menswear. I've decided to use a Kwik Sew pattern 3555 view B. Since its summer, I'm going to alter the pattern and make it sleeveless. And if I like the pattern, I'll make several more for winter with the long sleeve version. I have shopped my own fabric stash & with the addition of a couple of purchased fabric half yards, I've come up with the following fabrics for the shirt.