Friday, June 15, 2012
McCall's T-shirt 6566
It's a totally easy shirt to make up and I made it as they did in the pattern instructions. But I had the foresight (thank goodness!) to pin fit the sides. If you make it up with no changes, you will be wearing a bag! Sooo, I wound up making a few changes. LOL.
As you can see by the picture to the right, I laid both the front and back pattern pieces on top of each other matching up the side and underarm seams. I kept the pieces I removed from the top and used them to make my changes to the pattern pieces. I didn't mess with the length. It seemed just fine to me.
I do like the pattern after making these changes. And I'll probably make it up several times. I like the lace overlay and have some in my stash so I'll be making that version. I especially like the striped view too. You could also color block the striped view and I think that would be a fun look.
Here's the front where I rescued it from total plainness by embroidering a John Deere lace design on a scrap of fabric and did a raw edge applique to the front. Even tho it's a muslin, it's wearable and I like it. LOL. Oh one warning. The neckline is a little wider than I like so the next time I make it, I will be fixing that. But for some dumb reason, it doesn't gape when you bend over.
Oh I thought you might like to see the lace applique up close too.
The front hemline is shorter than the back. I like that; I think it's rather flattering and it seems to hit me in just the right spot. But remember I'm 5'8" and if you're shorter, you will want to shorten it.
Overall, I like it!