Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Kwik Sew 3801



I fell in love with this little red number last year.















OMG!  Do you remember this green disaster?  LOL.

I made this up last summer.  This is a cotton knit fabric that was super cheap and I thought it would be great to use for knit top muslins.  I cut out the large, because that's the size I usually take, and as you can see here, it's just a shapeless bag.  Get a load of the neckline; talk about low.  It's also too short.




Sooo...after recently seeing a friend wearing the top made with some very thin ITY knit and it looked great on her, I decided to give it another chance. 




Here I've made it up again, this time in a medium.  I lengthened it by 2 inches and brought the neckline up by 1 1/2 inches.  I still think it's a little big and the neckline is lower than I like.  Which, btw, I changed.  Instead of using a band around the neck, I just turned it under and cover stitched it.  BUT, it's much better and it looks much nicer on me than on Ruby here.  LOL.  Notice how I toned down the print?  I got this fabric from Sawyer Brook super cheap early this spring and am just now getting around to making it up.

I'm going to make it again, this time in a size small.  Sheesh!  Talk about vanity sizing.  I haven't worn a small in like FOREVA!  LOL.

I think the key to this particular look is to use a VERY drapey fabric and to keep the print small if using one.  OH, and the correct size.  LOL.

Here's a couple more pictures.



I like this fabric; it has a little curlycue printed in metallic.  Dresses up this otherwise plain knit.


This is a seriously easy knit top to make up.  I think it took me an hour and a half and it took that long because I was putzing around.  


One thing I thought I would comment on...I thought these super thin knits would be hard to work with.  I really haven't found that to be the case.  Other than testing the fabric (which I normally do anyway), I really haven't had any issues.










This black & white version is a small and I like it much better.   Talk about vanity sizing.  LOL.



That's all folks!


PS.  Today is my 2 year anniversary of this blog.  LOL.  Who da thunk it?

4 comments:

  1. congratulations on completing 2 years blogging - I think you are ahead of me. The tops are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on 2 years. Time flies when you're having fun and even when you're not, I've learned (HA!) Know what you mean about sizings - they are all over the place these days only to confuse us more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda; I'm wearing the pink tee now and it's growing. I may have to make a couple of new seams just to keep it from falling off my shoulders! LOL.

      Delete