Saturday, May 5, 2012

Couture shell...

Well I actually feel as if I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  LOL.  I have machine sewn the shell together around 3 sides; bottom w/scallops and the 2 back sides.  Since my shell is quite a bit different than the one in the Threads article, I'm kind of winging it.  I didn't feel confident enough to sew the scalloped edge by hand and have it turn out at all even.  Hence the half n' half couture lining. 

I've turned it and it took about an hour and a half to trim, clip and press the scalloped hem into shape.  I'm pretty picky and each seam needs to lie perfectly flat.  I've got a little bit more finessing to do on one or two of the scallops and I think I'll be satisfied.  Once that is complete, I'll start the handwork of closing up the neckline and armholes by hand.  

One thing I have to remark about and that's using the tracing paper.  My sewing has NEVER turned out this accurate before.  I'm really surprised at well every seam lined up just perfectly.  I may be using tracing paper more often... 

Here's a couple quick pictures of my progress.


The above picture shows the neckline and armholes towards the bottom of the picture.  The scallops are at the top.

 This photo shows the scallops at the bottom of the picture.

Pictures of my handwork will follow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment