Friday, December 30, 2011

Looking Back...

For some reason, I usually don't care to look back into the past.  Too many screwups for comfort?  Lol.  So this is my obligatory look back at the year of sewing. 

First, like a lunatic, I joined the JAM (jacket a month) sewalong on Stitcher's Guild.  I did complete 8 jackets/coats which would have been nine (or 10 really since my first attempt turned into a wadder) but my Chanel style jacket is still in the works.  I have made progress just not as much as I would have liked by this time.  Oh well; I do intend to finish it in 2012.  LOL.

8 jackets/coats
2 housecoats
1 nightie
4 pairs of capri's
2 elastic waisted pants for lounging
3 pairs of jeans
6 tops or blouses
8 knit tops or tees
1 quilted dresser top runner for my brother's Xmas
1 American Girl doll bed with all the appropriate bed clothing for my Heirloom Guild


Wow...it really seems like a lot when you look at it.  It didn't seem like that much as I was making it though.  Hmmm.


I didn't have any specific goals besides the JAM.  There were lots of ladies who did complete their 12 jackets and several more.  I guess I'm in the middle of the pack with only 2/3's completed.  I still feel pretty good about it though.  I think I've learned a lot from all of the different patterns completed.

One of the blouses I made this year did make use of an heirloom technique called "pulled thread replacement".


I did start teaching.  Which has been really, really fun for me.  I love sharing what I know with others.  This has been a real surprise to me.  LOL.


I did start taking classes with Claire Kennedy and she has been a real inspiration, making me stretch my mind, not only into choosing the right colors for myself but also my skills as a sewist.  


Looking ahead to 2012???

I'll continue classes with Claire.

I'll continue teaching others to sew since I enjoy it so much.


I'd like to incorporate more heirloom techniques into adult garments.  And I think I'd like to learn how to make my own bras.  There's a lady in Wichita who teaches.


Other than the above, keep sewing away!  


See you in the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment