Thursday, June 30, 2011

B5611 Tunic


I found a nice charcoal chambray awhile back from Sylvia at Delicate Stitches.  It marinated for awhile in my stash until I found a really cool printed stretch denim from Marcy Tilton to match.  Alas that fabric is sold out.  I should have got more.  LOL.

Butterick 5611 came out early this year.  The pattern says very loose-fitting, hip length shirts have button closures, forward shoulder and stitched hems, collar with collar band and pleated lower back.  Recommended fabrics are Chambray, lightweight Denim, lightweight Broadcloth, Satin and Cotton Gauze.

I decided to make view A with the pleated lower back.  I believe I'll make the denim into skinny pants to go with the tunic/shirt.



The shirt is cut out and mostly constructed.  I've tried it on with the side seams pinned together and true to the pattern, it is VERY loose.  I cut out my normal 16 and angled out to the 18 at the hip.  I could have cut a 14 or even a 12 and still had a loose fit.  Also I've noticed the armhole is very low cut for the sleeveless version.  Your bra will show if you raise your arm.  Too late for this version but I will be making a note of it if I make another.  Its very long too.  I'm 5'8" and usually have to add a couple of inches (sometimes as much as 3) to any patterns and I didn't have to add anything to this one.  Patterns are drafted for a 5'5"-5'6" height so I imagine this would be longer than pictured or described on the pattern.   The pleated bottom does not hang straight down as shown on the pattern envelope.  The way the pleats are inserted makes them actually cup your butt.  LOL.  I'm not sure I like it butt but we'll see.

I think the recommended fabrics should have had a tighter fit.  If they had said something like a silk or even a poly Charmeuse, it would drape much nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment