Thursday, June 9, 2011

Summer Robe - 3176

Kwik Sew patterns are fast becoming a favorite with me.  It seems whenever I want to make something new, Kwik Sew has a pattern for it.  I've not found that to be true of the Big 4. 

This particular pattern was super, super easy.  I made the robe up in 2 sessions.  You know I can't just make it up as the pattern is supplied.  I just have to change it up a bit.  LOL.  So besides adding the bit of embroidery on the inside yoke facing, I squared the pockets and laid my fabric out to take advantage of the scalloped edge of the eyelet.  I did the same with the pockets; the upper edge is scalloped too.  Laying it out in this manner eliminated 3 hems, the bottom of the robe itself and both pockets.   Oh and I should mention that I did have to square the hem of the robe to use the edge of the eyelet too.   I forgot to mention I eliminated the back seam.  I couldn't see a reason for it except maybe to save fabric in certain layouts.  There was no shaping to it at all.

Did you know there is almost nothing on the internet dealing with sewing Eyelet?  NOTHING.  NADA.  When dealing with an embroidered fabric, there are threads that can catch on your feed dogs.  Ask me how I know.  LOL.  I always make up a test swatch of fabric to check stitch length, thread color, etc.  When I was checking out the stitches, the fabric started bunching up behind the foot.   Arghhhh!  Now what?  So when I noticed that starting to happen, I pulled out a product called Stitch & Ditch Stabilizer.  It comes in a roll about 8 inches wide and almost an inch thick & costs about $8.  That's enough to last for a very long time.  For those who haven't encountered it before, its a very lightweight paper used to stabilize all sorts of stitches, such as the decorative stitches on your sewing/embroidery machine.  In my case, I cut about 12 inches of it off the roll and then cut it into strips about 1.5 inches wide.  I laid these strips underneath the fabric, on top of the feed dogs and sewed through the fabric and the paper, thus eliminating the emb catching on the feed dogs.  When done sewing the seam, you just gently tear the paper away.

I choose view B, the knee length version.  This is a fairly lightweight fabric and the pattern suggests medium to heavyweight fabrics such as terry cloth, chenille, flannel, cotton and cotton types.   I cut a medium at the neck, arm and bust areas widening out to a large at the hip.   I used my serger on almost every seam.  The construction was very straight forward.  Make the pockets and attach them.  Assemble the facings and because this is eyelet, I didn't use any interfacing.  Sew the facing to the assembled front and back.  Turn under the hem for the sleeves.  Sew the side seams.  Embroider buttonholes.  Sew on buttons.  See?  Really, really easy pattern to make up. 

Oh, btw, eyelet sheds like a you know what.  LOL.  I now need to do a major vacuum & dusting.  Its all over the place including my clothes. 

So here's a picture of the finished robe.


I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  It fits me perfectly.  Below is a closeup of the inside yoke.


Now to get started on the nightie!

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment