Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Kwik Sew 3176 - Summer Robe & Nightie

Things have settled down a bit here and I was able to start & almost finish a new project I mentioned a few days ago.  I found a really nice eyelet fabric from The Cloth Merchants in a deep dusty plum.   The print fabric is a poly silky from Jo-Ann's that has been marinating in my stash from some time.   I've been needing a new summer robe & nightgown and finally have a chance to make it. all know I like to embroider.  I'd like to put my mark on everything I make even if its just a little label inside of a garment.  I made up a nice little label for the last couple of garments - Belinda E with a little swoosh under it.  I like it; it's simple and is a nice personal touch.  Now eyelet has holes in it.  So how do you embroider a fabric with holes in it and make it look like it doesn't have stabilizer used on it?  I thought about it and was looking at my wall of stabilizers and saw my roll of black silk organza.  HA!  I hooped a piece of organza large enough to fit in my 5X7 hoop.  Then I sprayed some KK2000 on the back of a piece of test fabric for the embroidery tryout.  If you sprayed the organza, the fabric wouldn't stick.  Underneath the hoop I pinned 2 pieces of Sulky Tear-Easy.  Then I did the embroidery.  Here's the result.  This is before I tore or removed any of the layers.

Remember you can click on the picture to enlarge it.  Now this is the back of the embroidery.  I've started by removing each layer of the white tear-away first.

I used my serger tweezers to remove as much of the white tear-away as possible.  I started at the bottom and worked my way up.  That picture shows it partially removed.  Then I just cutaway the organza.  Voila!

Here is a picture of the completed embroidery and the piece actually cut out and ready to sew.

I should be finishing up with the robe construction in the morning and I'll have finished pictures for you.  Then I'll start on the nightie!

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment