Thursday, March 8, 2012

Alan's Tee progress

As usual life got in the way of fun.  Sigh.  I'm just now starting to sew the t-shirt.  I really haven't done all that much yet.  Cut out the largest size, XXL.  If you look at the pictures on the pattern front, they use a teenager not an adult.  Usually Alan just takes an XL tall.  I guess even Mens clothing has succumbed to closer fitting along the rest of the fashion world.  

The fabric I'm using for his test Tee is a cotton t-shirt knit I purchased over 20 years ago for a beach cover-up.  At the time we lived in Titusville, Florida.  So take this with a grain of salt.  LOL. Shown is the shoulder's sewn together and the neck band attached and cover-stitched.  I have never tried to cover-stitch the neck band before so it's not very straight or evenly sewn.  Have you tried to fit all that fabric in the 1-1/2 inch space you have available on your cover-stitch?  How do you manhandle/handle it?  LOL.

YES the fabric is that bright.  LOL.

Julie Christine mentioned she a little afraid of starting to sew knits having not had much experience.  I tell you just jump right in Julie.  LOL.  I felt the same way at first.  So what if the first one or two shirts aren't perfect?  You learn and improve with each garment you make.  And in my book, as long as you're learning, its all good.  LOL.  Julie also asked if I knew of any good sources for tee fabric.  Actually I don't know of any off the top of my head.  I don't even remember where I got the hot pink tie dye I'm using for Alan's test.  I've seen a few tee fabrics at the store we all hate to shop at - JoAnns.  I think I even remember some tie dye's in blues and yellow.  I might go see if I can snag a couple yards for another tee.  But if any of you know of a quality source, let me know in the comment section.

OH speaking of comments.  With the help of another blogger, I learned how to turn off that dratted two word prove your not a robot word verification.  GAH!  I hate those things!

1 comment:

  1. I like Alan's Tee, plus it fits him perfectly.

    I have bought a lot of knits from Fabric Mart in PA. They sell quality fabric at very good prices!!! Now they have some "Dry Flex knits". I haven't seen them in person, but they sound nice. The link is: http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/xcart/Knits-Dry-Flex/

    I just received my first shipment from Sawyerbrook.com today. The fabric (knits) is beautiful and I will order from them again.

    I have also ordered fabric from Marcy Tilton...spendy, but definitely worth it!!!

    ReplyDelete