Tuesday, March 20, 2012

2779 - Jacket

I have finally girded my loins (so to speak).  LOL.  Now it's time to tackle making the chiffon jacket.  I've cut out all of the pieces.  Each had to be cut in one layer.  Yawn.  That was Saturday.  Sunday I worked in the backyard weeding, fertilizing and doing general early spring cleanup.  And today it's raining cats and dogs off and on.

Today I'm actually sewing.  Got out my Sandra Betzina "More Fabric Savvy" to make sure I was on the right track.  I'm using a 8 Microtex needle and sewing stitch length is 2.0, holding the thread tails and using a slightly taut sewing.  All of the seams will be french.  Here's a few pictures of my progress.

Shoulders and side seams are complete. 

Now I need to decide if I want to install the sleeves before I do the rolled hem, which, by the way, includes all the way around the neckline.
This is a little practice piece (on the bias) of a hand rolled hem.  I'm hoping, that with practice, I'll get a rhythm going so this will speed up a tad.  I don't mind hand sewing at all, but this is very, very slow.

A note about this fabric.  It sucks!  No, really, it's beautiful but a real pain to work with it.  I've had to baste every seam just to sew it. 

3 comments:

  1. It is looking stunning - can't wait to see the finished product. I read on a blog that soaking your fabric in gelatine helps - have you tried that? LOVE LOVE LOVE the fabric. It is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be a pain, but oh so totally worth it! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is already beautiful. I agree chiffons are a PITA to work with. I've settled on 3thread serger and very simple patterns.

    ReplyDelete