Friday, April 15, 2011

Heirloom tech - replaced thread I

Time seems to have slipped away from me this week.  LOL.  Here it is Friday and I said I would have pictures Monday.  Oh well...sigh.  With a new class starting this week and a new book catching me in its thrall, I haven't had much time to doctor the pictures I took of the technique.  LOL.  Okay enough excuses; here is a demo of Pulled-Thread replacement as I've figured it out. 

In my last note to you all, I was saying I would have the pocket, the front band and the collar tips make use of the technique.  I have completed 2 of the 3 pieces, the pocket and front band.  I'm still working out how I will accomplish the collar.  That's going to take a lot more thought and planning.  Also I'm running out of the Madeira silk floss, so I'll need to get with Silvia next week or I won't have enough to complete all of the work I want to accomplish on the blouse.  I'd have met with her this week, but she's totally involved in the SandSprings Herbal Festival this weekend and is "out-of-her-mind" busy.  LOL.

In this first picture, I've shown a scrap of fabric large enough for my pocket.  On it, you'll see how I've marked with a Chaco liner, the outline of the pocket plus the grain line of the fabric.  Oh I do need to let you know, since this was done on black fabric, I'm having to lighten the pictures considerably for you to be able to see what I've done.


Once I've marked around the pattern piece, I decided I wanted a stripe (pulled-thread) every 1 1/2 inches; so fairly close together.  The next picture will show a piece already in work because I forgot to take pictures while I was pulling thread for the pocket.  LOL.  I measured to the spot for the next pull and marked it with the Chaco liner.  Then using a small, very sharp scissor, I cut a 1/4 inch into the fabric on the diagonal. 


This next shot shows the first thread being pulled.  The first thread is the hardest to pull.  Using the cut as my guide, I pull 3 threads on either side.  In other words, 3 threads on each side of the cut gets pulled. 


After I've pulled 5 threads, the 6th gets started (gathered) and I go to the other side of the fabric, and find that very same thread and pull on it too.  So you have a pulled thread showing from both sides of the fabric and gathered fabric showing in the middle shown in the next picture.  As always, you can click on the image and the size will increase.  Do you see the threads at each side of the picture?


Now we are ready to prepare our floss to be pulled through the fabric.  In the Sew Beautiful article, you separate every floss thread and press them straight, just as you would if you were going to smock with them.  If you look at embroidery floss in the package, its twisted.  You are removing as much of the twists as possible so you will get a straight run of floss through the fabric.  Cut a piece of floss from the package that is 2 to 3 inches longer than the piece of fabric it's going through.  Separate the pieces and press them flat.  Take 3 strands of the floss and put them on top of one of the pulled threads hanging out of the fabric.  Use the thread hanging out of the fabric to tie a double square knot around the floss.  I have to use magnifying readers and a serger tweezers to tie the know.   It should like like this:


And when you start to pull it through...


And this is about halfway through the fabric.


And finally all the way through!


Now that you're cross-eyed from looking at these pictures, LOL...

More Later...

1 comment:

  1. That is so interesting. I've never seen this replaced thread technique. I'm anxious to see your final work.

    ReplyDelete