Sunday, April 10, 2011

Creating your own fabric - an heirloom technique

Have you ever thought about creating your own fabric?  You know, just something a little different?  I've done it with embroidery; machine candlewick white-on-white embroidery for the bib & cuff area on my candlewick & roses blouse.  But this time I realized I haven't done an heirloom technique in awhile.  I received this month's Sew Beautiful magazine (issue #135) and there was the inspiration  for my next garment staring at me from the front cover!  LOL.

I have to explain.  I don't have any children or grandchildren.  So there are no little ones to sew cute little heirloom outfits.   And I like heirloom sewing.  Soooooo, I have a tendency to translate any heirloom techniques into adult clothing.  For me.  LOL.

Back to Sew Beautiful; on page 24, there is a lovely article by Nancy Sipple about a pulled-thread replacement technique.  I just love what she did.  So now I'm starting a sleeveless blouse with my TNT Simplicity 2339.  I've acquired 2.5 yards of a really nice silk broadcloth in black from my friend Sylvia of Delicate Stitches.  I also purchased a pkg of Madeira silk embroidery thread in a deep red and a nice leafy green.  My plans are to use the pulled-thread replacement in the red silk on a pocket, one side of the front band and possibly the collar.  I'm going to further complicate matters by cutting the front band on the bias.  LOL.  Also I'm planning on hand embroidering red bullion roses into the buttons.  Now you realize that since I chose black, its going to be very hard to photograph.  So I'll probably have to do some lightening up of the pictures to show the technique.

I'll have a couple of pictures tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment