Monday, October 3, 2011

McCall's 5984


Now that the robe is off the plate, I can get to another jacket.  I think this is number 7 this year.  I have a nice piece of wool flannel I got at Hancock Fabrics, of all places.  Every once in a while you can luck out and find something nice.  LOL.  When I went to the Vogue pattern's site, I found 5984 is already an OOP.  Figures when I'm just now getting around to making it.  I guess I'll never be fashion forward, just behind. 
I really love the look of this jacket, swingy but not too swingy.  Those of us with pear shapes know about that.  The only thing I don't really care for is that center back pleat.   Not for me.  Grin.  Needless to say, I'll be folding out that pleat when I make my version.





Here's that pretty denim blue wool flannel and a poly charmeuse lining fabric from Hancock's also.  I purchased 3.5 yards at the time not knowing what I would make, just that I liked the fabric.  I guess I've had it for a couple of years now.  I had to examine every inch of the fabric for anything wrong and found 2 small spots that I marked with thread tacks.  Knowing my luck, if I didn't mark them, I would cut out pieces right on top of the rub/worn marks.  






I spent a couple of hours making my changes to the pattern.  Since it's a Palmer/Pletsch pattern, it was easy with the lines already drawn where you have to cut.  So...I made 1.25 inch FBA and added 2 inches to all 4 pieces.  As you know, pattern companies draft for a person 5'5"-5'6".  Since I'm 5'8" that's 2 inches for me.  


My plan is to embroider tone-on-tone color on the lapel pieces, the collar and the welt pockets.  I'm shopping my embroidery collection and testing out designs.  When I've made a decision, I'll report back.


More Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment