Monday, October 31, 2011

McCall's 5984 Complete!

I must say I really enjoyed making this jacket.  I just love the fit and feel of it.  LOL.  In a nutshell, here are the changes I made to the pattern.
  • 1.25" FBA
  • Added 2 inches in length
  • Removed the huge back pleat
  • Added a 1inch pleat in the back lining
  • Added a sleeve head
  • Fabric used was wool flannel and poly charmeuse from Hancock Fabrics
I highly recommend the pattern and I may make it again without embroidery and in a longer version.




Here are some details of the insides. 





I know its a little hard to see but this is the hand embroidery to hold the lining pleat in place.  I did this at the neck and waist. 

This is the embroidery on the inside.  Notice I didn't make it the same as the outside.  I started out the same at the neckline (where it would show) and then reduced the number of flowers to lessen the weight of the embroidery.  I was getting concerned that it might get too heavy.  I also digitized a label and I've started including a date.  LOL.  I can't remember how long ago I made some of my garments so now I get help.


I thought you might like to see the humongous snaps I applied.  They're called for by the pattern and I really love the look.  But, I'll warn you, since they can show if you leave slightly unsnapped, you need to make sure they look nice when you sew them on.  I didn't have any trouble with placement because I just chalked a line around the snap itself before sewing.  Also, another thing to be aware of is don't sew you snap to the pocket linings!  LOL.  I thought I was all done and realized that I'd sewn a pocket practically shut with one of the bottom snaps.  All I can say is that it was late at night.  I shouldn't sew after 10pm.  Grin.

3 comments:

  1. That's a very pretty jacket. Beautiful embroidery. I have a machine that embroiders, but I get totally bored sitting there watching the needle go up and down, so I put the module away. Maybe I'll regain interest in it someday. The effects you get with your embroidery are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gwen! I find it boring too. So I make sure I have something to read or play around on my computer while the embroidery is running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belinda, that is one beautiful garment. Enjoy your investment of the time.

    ReplyDelete