Sunday, June 16, 2013

Other things I do...

I started knitting when I was in my late 20's.  Sweaters; sweaters with lace.  The only thing I remember was Vogue Knitting magazine.  They're known for rather challenging knitting.  LOL.  I didn't know I should start with a scarf, etc. when learning to knit.  I just jumped into the deep end with cables, lace and mohair yarn.  So I made sweaters (from the same pattern) for everyone around me. Then I took a loooong break.  LOL.  About 20 years.  I started with scarfs! Lately I've really been wanting to up my game when it comes to what I knit.  I joined Ravelry and found some great free patterns and I'm taking lessons from Michele at one of our local knitting shops.  We have 3 really good ones. We only have one independent fabric store but we THREE independent yarn shops!
Michele has really helped me obtain a good working gauge.  Apparently I'm a very loose knitter, so I went down 2 sizes in needles to obtain the proper gauge to make this little number.  I also learned how to read a chart!  They have always intimidated me in the past. 

This free pattern came from the Cascade Yarns website and is called Go To Topper DK156, if you're interested in trying it. 

I used an Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool in emerald green.  It's more a teal not emerald but so be it.  LOL.  I love the sweater.  It's so light weight, it just about floats.  This the first sweater I've made for myself.  Everything I made before was for someone else.  I just need to find 3 matching buttons and weave in a few yarn ends.  The shirt you see underneath is a knit fabric I just have draped to see how it looks.  Pretty nice, eh?  I like it.  LOL.  I'll be looking through my pattern for a cowl neck pattern, so you'll be seeing this soon.

Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment