Saturday, November 10, 2012
Butterick 5535 - Coat
This will be the one winter coat I'll be making for the season. You can still get it, but its on the site as an OOP. It's pretty simple; semi-fitted, lined jacket with collar, bust darts, patch pockets and princess seams. I'm going to make the one in the center picture, view B. Initially I was going to make it from a piece of grey plaid wool flannel I picked up at an estate sale but I really don't feel like matching plaids right now. So I'm making it easy on myself by using a wool/cashmere blend I purchased at the Cloth Merchants a couple of years ago. It's at the cleaners getting prepped for sewing.
I will be making a few changes though. (Don't I always?) I'll be adding 2 or 3 inches in length. Since this is a semi-fitted coat, I'm going up one size; I really don't want it THAT fitted. LOL.
I'm not a fan of patch pockets so I'm going to try a new technique I found in my Threads archive. It's called "No-clip welt Pockets". If you have the archive (or the magazine), it's found in issue #91 on pages 48-49.
It's pretty ingenuous really: you simply fit the double-welt pocket between the seams of a princess style jacket! I was so pumped when I found this article! LOL.
Needless to say, I'll be making a muslin to see if going up one size & all the various changes will work with what I need to do to get the fit I'm looking for in this style. And I'll probably do a practice run on the new pocket.
Well that's all I have for today! I hope you're having a nice weekend.