Monday, February 14, 2011

Back to the Chanel Jacket

It's about time isn't it!  LOL.  I was finally able to obtain enough underlining to get the job done.  And I think a little of my reluctance to cut into this fabric is I'm so afraid of making a huge mistake and not having any more fabric to make a correction.  There; I said it.  Got it off my chest so now I can just forget about it and forge ahead.  GAH!  Well here is some of what I've accomplished so far.  Since there is a silver thread that is quite prominent in the fabric, I had to be to try to match it throughout the garment.  At least its not a complicated plaid.  I started this project with 1 1/3 yards of 60" fabric - yes you heard right.  LOL.  The only way this would work is by having elbow length (my preference anyway) sleeves and no facings.  There simply wasn't enough fabric.  So I'll do a Chanel-esque  application by lining to the edge thus eliminating  those facings.

My first problem was to solve how I was going to cut out all of those pieces ( 2 fronts, 2 backs & 2 sleeves ) without screwing  messing up the layout and therefore not having enough fabric.  Sooooooo, I had to arrange the fabric in a single layer and then layout the pattern pieces and thread trace around them.  I only had to do this once, thank goodness, or I would have gone nuts having to do that much thread tracing.  LOL.

I know this is going to be a little hard to see but if you click on the picture, you should be able to see the thread tracing in the fabric.

Once I had one set of each pattern piece traced to the fabric with thread, I could then proceed to cutting out the rest making sure I had them lined up as well as I could with the amount of fabric I had.  Let me tell you - I took one huge breath in and let it out before I took that first cut with my rotary cutter.  LOL.  Then I proceeded to cut out all the underlining pieces.  Before I go much further, I used Palmer/Pletsch PerfectFuse Light to underline this project.  Its added a soft body to this really loosely woven novelty boucle'.  Otherwise I just wouldn't be able to handle it without it falling apart. 

The picture just above shows the underlined side up and I've inserted pins where I had to match the silver thread (which of course you can't see).

No comments:

Post a Comment