Sigh. I know; not a good start when you see that. Well, I mentioned in the previous post that I had a couple of things to get off my plate before I could start one of the new Stylearc patterns that had arrived. I have been dying to make Sewing Workshop's Icon shirt. One of the girls in our OK in Stitches group made it up and wore to one of our meetings and I just loved it on her. Here I thought "Ok girl you're getting out of your comfort zone and trying something different". I should have known better.
My first problem was trying to figure out how to tissue fit the dang thing. This blouse has 11 pieces! A right front, a left front, a right back and a left back; plus a left back extension. Sheesh! So I kind of muddled my way through it and decided on a medium. It really looked like it was going to be fairly big and I would just be able to take it in where needed. Because EVERY piece is different, you must cut it out on a single layer of fabric. Ugh! This was starting to be way too work. I decided to use a soft blue chambray that's been in my stash for a few years. I think it's from JoAnn's.
Here are my pics. I'm not quite done; still have the buttons to sew on but this is it. I'm not sure how much I'll wear this or if I'll even make it again. I think it's going to be one of those shirts that always need constant arranging & adjusting and frankly, that's not my cup of tea.
I did lengthen all 5 pattern pieces by 2 inches to get a length that would work with my height. I didn't like how long the back pieces were when they were finished. The proportion just didn't look right to me. So I wound up taking the 2 inches out that I added in the beginning. And, of course had to make all those mitered corners AGAIN. This blouse is a lot of work what with all the top-stitching and mitered corners. And I found that a couple of the pieces were only laid over the top of other pieces (the back and the left side extension), not making the tuck that it looked like in the tech drawings.
Here's the back after shortening. And as you can see, I did add a little light stitching designs as my fabric was so plain. Dandelions blowing in the breeze. LOL.
This picture is the inside of the left side extension. It's my save for the shirt. The hips wound up being too tight so instead of the simple overlap the pattern directions wanted I choose to angle it out and sew it down again by retracing my top stitching.
I'm disappointed. It's a nice shirt but just not a style for me I guess.